Monday, May 24, 2010

Let's Talk Summer...Jobs

So, if you follow me on Twitter or if you're my friend on Facebook you know about my summer job troubles. I started applying for summer jobs at the end of March, and in total I applied for 17 jobs. I work at a daycare during the school year and I wanted to do something different so applied to restaurants and retail stores. I was hoping to sort of know what I was doing before I get to Disney as I've never worked retail.

But alas, that was not to be. I heard from Target. They said they had nothing to offer me at the moment. Then I was told by Texas Land and Cattles employment recruiter to go by the restaurant and fill out an application in person so that I could meet the manager (only to get there and be greeted by one nice hostess and one MEAN hostess.) The e-mail said to go by any day of the week from 2-4. The only day I could go by was Friday, and I got there filled out an application and was told that the managers only meet people Tuesday through Thursday (and that they would NOT be happy if they had to stop and talk to me) in a VERY RUDE tone. So I told the mean hostess to forget it and just take my application.

I left knowing that I wouldn't be getting a job there (even though I was certain I'd be a better hostess than EITHER of the ones they had).

As for the other 15 jobs...I never heard a thing. I never even got an official rejection from any of them. So I came home from school with no summer job. I had planned on having a job long before I got home, but that didn't work out. So my roommate said she had a profile on this website called Care.com and that she had just gotten some babysitting jobs off of it, and Sharon (my career development HERO) told me I should just take it easy this summer and look for odd jobs and I thought babysitting would be the best odd job for me. So I went on Care.com and made a profile. I immediately found a job with a family that seemed very convenient. I applied for it, and then got an e-mail about calling to set up a meeting. I met with the family, and now I've got a job!

I'm very excited about it! I start a week from today! I get $10 an hour and I'll be working at least 20 hours a week! I'll be able to save money for Disney AND pay off my credit card balance! YAY!

Also, I've had since May 5th off to do what I please. I've been shopping (too much) and hanging out with friends. It's been awesome. This is my last week of having nothing to do and so I'm enjoying it. I have friends coming over tonight, another friend coming over Wednesday, and in the mean time I'm cleaning and packing for the beach. That's right the BEACH. I'm going to Myrtle Beach this weekend in the hopes of meeting Tiffany Thornton (Sonny with a Chance) and Jasmine Richards (Camp Rock/Camp Rock 2) on Saturday (I might meet Nathan Kress [iCarly] and Debby Ryan [Suite Life on Deck] too.) There might be too much of a mob for me to meet them, but I'm totally gonna try.

Hi, I'm Logan. I'm 22 years old and I still watch Nickelodeon and Disney Channel.

So, that's my story of how i landed my summer job and what I plan to do this summer. I hope it was worth reading. I think my next entry is going to be about my summer reading list.

Until next time, have a magical day!

No comments: